Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day as you may know it, is the day before the start of Lent. Lent being the beginning of the lead up to Easter in the Christian world.
But who needs a special Tuesday to eat pancakes when you can make these super simple and healthy pancakes any day of the year, for breakfast, for lunch or even for dinner. And who can forget dessert.
Pancakes all day, everyday I say.
These pancakes are Paleo friendly, gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, all depending on the toppings you add.
My favorite go to topping would be peanut butter or almond butter layered between the stack and drizzled over top with some pure maple syrup.
Now for the pancakes.
3 ingredients is all you need:
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond meal or buckwheat flour (buckwheat makes a thicker pancake)
- Cacao powder for chocolaty pancakes
- Blueberries to mix through the batter
- Feta or blended spinach for a savoury version with a poached egg on top.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Heat some coconut oil in a non-stick fry pan
- Add about a tablespoon of the mixture to the heated pan and let it spread a little
- When the mixture starts to bubble, carefully slide a spatula under the pancake and flip it over. allow the other side to now cook for a couple of minutes. The hotter the pan gets, the quicker the mixture cooks so be careful not to burn your pancakes.
- Once its golden brown on both sides, flip the pancake onto a plate and add more mixture to the pan until its all used up.
- I like serving my pancakes in a stack, one on top of the other.
Enjoy. Eat them sweet, eat them savoury. What’s your favourite pancake topping?