I grew up eating potato salad at all the various family gatherings and events, it’s guareenteed there will be one at Christmas lunch but I’ve never been all that keen on the mayo that’s smothered all over the potato salad.
This German potato salad is super simple and contains all whole foods, no gluten or dairy. You can use either regular potatoes or sweet potatoes, that’s personal preference as both are just as good for you. I have chosen to use sweet potato and I’ve left the skin on because there is so much nutrients under the skin so I try to keep skin in from fruit and vegetables whenever possible. I’m including this potato salad as a Christmas dish as I think it’d make the perfect side dish for the Christmas Turkey. Thanks to the bacon and Rosemary it reminds me of turkey stuffing.
It’s summer time over here when we celebrate Christmas and the new year, so this potato salad makes a great dish at a summer picnic in the park or a New Year’s Eve BBQ. Is another simple and quick recipe using whole foods, which makes it so easy to prepare for a Christmas or New Year’s Eve party which fall at the busiest time of the year.
You can use either fresh or dried rosemary but for presentation reasons I find fresh rosemary looks best 😀 and if you’re having this dish at a party who wouldn’t want the dish to look great?!
The ingredients call for streaky bacon but to save time and mess you can use diced bacon as long as it isn’t the processed stuff. It still needs to include the rind as this is crucial to the recipe because the secret is bacon fat! When eating some of the potato salad straight after shooting it I found the apple cider vinegar a little too over powering but it think that’s because I poured in a little too much.
- 600 grams potato
- 6 pieces of streaky bacon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon green onions, chopped
- Scrub the potatoes well. Place in a large pot and add water just to cover. Heat to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when punctured with a fork.
- Drain the water, and cube the potatoes into approximately equal size.
- Meanwhile in a nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, flipping occasionally, until crispy. Remove bacon onto a plate with a paper towels, pat dry and dice up the bacon. Leave bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the vinegar, dijon, salt and pepper to the bacon grease. Bring to a low boil for 1 minute, then add garlic, stirring. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl mix the cubed potatoes, diced cooked bacon, bacon dressing, rosemary, olive oil and green onions. Serve hot or cold.
*Recipe Tested from Bravo for Paleo Blog*
One thought on “Summertime Potato Salad”
side note: just finished off the left overs of this potato salad…..tastes good hot or cold